Customizing User Module API

Discussion of the PSoC Designer integrated development environment for PSoC1 devices.

Moderators: ericb, dcooper, jonp, dpfunston

Customizing User Module API

Postby nano » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:43 pm

I have a problem modifying the API of a user module. I saw that in the 5.3 release of PSoC designer, there is a "lock" feature for each module, which can be used to lock the API and cause it to not re-generate and overwrite the associated code upon building the project. After trying this though, and without making any changes other than locking the module, it acted more like the module was completely removed from the project, causing all functions from that user module's API to be undefined.

More specifically, I am using a UART module, and I would like to be able to modify the command buffer code in UARTINT.asm. I can provide more information if required, but I think I'm just missing something on how to use the customization features. Also if anyone knows of anywhere I can find more information on user module customization, I can't seem to find anything on it other than what is in the release notes and video for PSoC designer 5.3.
nano

Re: Customizing User Module API

Postby danadak » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:00 pm

I see a small section in this -

http://www.cypress.com/index.cfm?docID=39905

Regards, Dana.
Field Application Engineer
KB1RHB Mostly listen :)
Semi Retired
danadak
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby bobmarlowe » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:33 am

Can it be that a "Clean" on the project indeed does delete the former generated files containing the APIs even when locked?

Bob
bobmarlowe
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby nano » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:53 am

Thanks Dana, but I have already read through that. From what I gather, locking a module should allow for modification of its API files without fear of them being overwritten. This would allow customization of the API, and the project could be re-built using the modified API.

However after successfully building the project with no errors, locking a UART module and making NO changes, then running "Generate/Build" again, the UART.h file is removed from the include list in PSoCAPI.h, thus causing all functions of the UART to be undefined from main.c's viewpoint. If I add the line
Code: Select all
#include "UART.h"

to PSoCAPI.h, and run a "Build", it works fine, but upon a "Generate" PSoCAPI.h is re-generated without the proper include. I'm not sure whether this is the intended functionality or not, because as-is, there seems to be no purpose to lock a user module.
Last edited by nano on Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
nano

Postby bobmarlowe » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:03 am

This behaveour looks a bit buggy. I would suggest you to create a technical case at cypress.com (Support -> Technical Support -> Create a Case) with a link to this thread.

Bob
bobmarlowe
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby nano » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:46 am

Ok, I've done that, thanks Bob. I've also tested this on a new project, with multiple user module's, on multiple computers, all with the same results. I guess it does work though, as long as no changes are made to the hardware, and you manually add the include line to PSoCAPI.h...
nano

Postby bobmarlowe » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:52 am

So there is a good chance that this might be corrected in one of the next revisions.

Bob
bobmarlowe
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Return to “%s” PSoC Designer (PSoC1 IDE)