Introducing Sya-1.0 - a Binary Code Optimizer for PSoC1

A catchall for PSoC Mixed-Signal Array (microcontroller) discussions not captured by the other forums.

Moderator: ericb

Introducing Sya-1.0 - a Binary Code Optimizer for PSoC1

Postby rrlogic » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:24 am

Hello Everybody,

It gives us great pleasure to announce the release of our flagship product Sya-1.0 for PSoC1.

Sya is a Post Link Binary Optimizer for PSoC1. Sya operates on the Intel HEX file generated by PSoC Developer and its embedded Compiler Tool Chain from ImageCraft.

The optimized output from Sya is generated in the Intel HEX format along with an updated Map file with the relocated addresses of the symbols. The Intel HEX file generated by Sya is compatible with the PSoC Programmer and can be used to program the PSoC1 device.

Sya is compatible with all versions of PSoC Designer starting with version 5.0. It is also compatible with both ImageCraft Standard and ImageCraft Pro compilers. The degree of optimization possible with Sya for the ImageCraft Standard and the ImageCraft Pro compilers varies though.

Sya works seamlessly with the current design flow of PSoC Designer and is completely transparent to the user in its operation. The user does not have to do anything special to invoke Sya. Further, Sya can be disabled in a particular design by simply setting an environment variable. Sya can be installed and uninstalled any number of times and for any or all version(s) of PSoC Designer with great ease.

Sya is typically known to provide about 7 – 15% reduction in code size depending upon the design at hand. The amount of optimization possible depends primarily on the user modules used in the design and the compiler (Standard or Pro) that is used to compile the code.

Sya is available in the binary form under an end-user license. A license may be obtained by writing to the sales team at sya-sales@rrlogic.co.in or by visiting the website http://www.rrlogic.co.in/sya and purchasing the license via online payment on our Secure Server. Currently our server has a standard SSL certificate. For enhanced security and trust during your online purchase, we have applied for an EV SSL certificate, which should be installed within a week from now.

All Sya licenses are node locked and are designed to work only on the Windows based system for which the license has been generated. The end user is required to provide the HostID of the system on which the product is intended to be used. The process of purchase will end with a license key being generated and E-mailed to the user.

Currently there is an early bird offer which entitles our users to a free 3-day license trial license. Please make use of the same. We would be glad to hear back from you on the performance of our tool and any other feedback that you may have on the overall experience of buying and using Sya.

With best regards
The Sya Team at RRLogic

P. S.: Indian customers need to contact us via E-mail in order to purchase the license, since Paypal, which is our Payment Gateway, does not accept payment in INR and neither does it accept payment in USD from Credit/Debit cards issued in India. We are trying to sort out this issue but it will take some time. Please bear with us.
Thanks and regards
The Sya Team at RRLogic
rrlogic
Bite-Size Cheese
Bite-Size Cheese

Re: Introducing Sya-1.0 - a Binary Code Optimizer for PSoC1

Postby danadak » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:33 am

I tried to register, could not get mandatory time zone selection window to show
any time zones, tried submitting, get cryptic "Captcha......" error message.

Then tried to contact you using contact form, same error, "Captcha......" error message.

Regards, Dana.
Field Application Engineer
KB1RHB Mostly listen :)
Semi Retired
danadak
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby rrlogic » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:48 am

Dear Dana,

Are you using Internet Explorer? If so, could you please try using a different browser? We suspect this to be a problem with AJAX on IE.

Thanks and regards
The Sya Team at RRLogic
Thanks and regards
The Sya Team at RRLogic
rrlogic
Bite-Size Cheese
Bite-Size Cheese

Postby bobmarlowe » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:04 am

I just wanted to inform myself of the price of your product, but without registration I get no infos. Not what I like...

Bob
bobmarlowe
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby danadak » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:05 am

Firefox, IE, both programs up to date.

Windows Vista, also up to date.

Regards, Dana.
Semi Retired
danadak
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby rrlogic » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:10 am

bobmarlowe wrote:I just wanted to inform myself of the price of your product, but without registration I get no infos. Not what I like...

Bob

Thanks Bob for the feedback. We too realized the same. We are adding that on our website. Further, if you notice the slides that play on the left, the last slide has the pricing info. Yet, I agree, it would be good to have it on the website.

For your information, the current price trims are as follows:

3 Days early bird offer Free for a limited duration.
7 Days trial USD 0.99 (Includes support for 7 days)
30 Days USD 9.99 (Includes support for 30 days)
365 Days USD 99.99 (Includes support for 365 days)

Thanks and regards
The Sya Team at RRLogic
Thanks and regards
The Sya Team at RRLogic
rrlogic
Bite-Size Cheese
Bite-Size Cheese

Postby rrlogic » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:14 am

danadak wrote:Firefox, IE, both programs up to date.

Windows Vista, also up to date.

Regards, Dana.

Dana,

Do you get the same errors on Firefox too? If so, can you please send us the version of Firefox you are using?

Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you. Browser compatibility is a major issue. We will make an attempt to fix this soon.

Thanks and regards
The Sya Team at RRLogic
Thanks and regards
The Sya Team at RRLogic
rrlogic
Bite-Size Cheese
Bite-Size Cheese

Postby danadak » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:44 am

Firefox 22.0
IE 9.0.8112.16421
Semi Retired
danadak
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby danadak » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:47 am

I was able to install via Firefox after several attempts. Problem may have been bad
internet connection latency.

I have a design in 5.4, it compiles to 31,421 Bytes (out of 32,768 in a 29466 part) using HiTech Pro.
It will not compile in Imagcraft anything, tests I have done look like HT Pro ~ 30% better than Imagecraft
Pro. So I am stuck with HT Pro.

I could in fact use Sya if it would work with HT Pro. I tried it, verified Designer Version
and Env Variable all correct, I see no change in load size.

So I take this to indicate it will not run with HT Pro ?

Regards, Dana.
Semi Retired
danadak
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby rrlogic » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:42 am

danadak wrote:I was able to install via Firefox after several attempts. Problem may have been bad
internet connection latency.

I have a design in 5.4, it compiles to 31,421 Bytes (out of 32,768 in a 29466 part) using HiTech Pro.
It will not compile in Imagcraft anything, tests I have done look like HT Pro ~ 30% better than Imagecraft
Pro. So I am stuck with HT Pro.

I could in fact use Sya if it would work with HT Pro. I tried it, verified Designer Version
and Env Variable all correct, I see no change in load size.

So I take this to indicate it will not run with HT Pro ?

Regards, Dana.

Dana,

Thanks for confirming that you could download and install it with Firefox. We are working with the issue on IE.

Sya is not yet designed to work with HT Pro. Actually we do not have a copy of HT Pro to test with. If we could get a copy of it, we could look at what could be done to make it work with HT Pro. Unfortunately no such copies are available any longer.

Sya was designed to help users who are using the ImageCraft compiler to fit in more code than what they normally are able to, on a given part. Of course, if they have already maxed out on the 32 KB address space, then there is little that can be done, since the ImageCraft compiler won't compile it at all and that means Sya will never get invoked. If they are on a lower memory part on which they have maxed out on the address space, they can choose a higher memory part, allow the ImageCraft compiler to compile, then invoke Sya, and if the size does come down significantly, they can then program the HEX file into the lower memory part. That is the intent of Sya. The primary premise is that the code should compile with the compiler to generate a HEX file for a 32 KB part.

As for the HT Pro compiler, if someone can loan us a copy (without violating any of its licensing terms), we would be glad to investigate how Sya can be made to work with the HT Pro and also determine what is the improvement possible with Sya.

Thanks again for your efforts in trying Sya with your designs. We hope to be of use to you sometime soon.
Thanks and regards
The Sya Team at RRLogic
rrlogic
Bite-Size Cheese
Bite-Size Cheese

Postby toalan2001 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:12 am

Is there a way to set ICC so that it compiles the code even if it is larger than the flash space on the specified device? If so then Sya looks useful, if not then I have no idea what the use would be.
toalan2001
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby rrlogic » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:46 am

toalan2001 wrote:Is there a way to set ICC so that it compiles the code even if it is larger than the flash space on the specified device? If so then Sya looks useful, if not then I have no idea what the use would be.

We have been working on this one for sometime and we have a solution too, which is under test. But we didn't anticipate this query to come up on the very first day of the launch. Else we would have delayed the launch for this feature.

We hope to release this feature latest by Monday.
Thanks and regards
The Sya Team at RRLogic
rrlogic
Bite-Size Cheese
Bite-Size Cheese

Postby rrlogic » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:55 am

Dana,

Further to what we wrote in response to the query from toalan2001, once we come up with our next release on Monday, we would like to offer you a further 3-day license to try out Sya with ICC on the project you mentioned to see if it gives you any better results or anything similar to what you are getting with HT Pro. Hope you would want to give it a try.
Thanks and regards
The Sya Team at RRLogic
rrlogic
Bite-Size Cheese
Bite-Size Cheese

Postby danadak » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:17 am

It would take some time for me to re-setup to compile with ICC due to differences in
from HT. I am currently trying to wrap up design, would like additional space Sya could
potentially add, but time to wrapup design.

Before last release of ICC I was getting 40+% reduction in HT.

Curious, if I produce an Intel Hex file by any means, how is Sya "knowledgable" about what
compiler was used ?

Regards, Dana.
Semi Retired
danadak
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby rrlogic » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:37 am

toalan2001 wrote:Is there a way to set ICC so that it compiles the code even if it is larger than the flash space on the specified device? If so then Sya looks useful, if not then I have no idea what the use would be.

We have released version 1.01 of Sya. This version allows the users to compile and link their design even if the design does not fit into their current device's ROM. Thereafter Sya makes an attempt to optimize the design and fit it into their device's ROM. If Sya succeeds, then it generates the optimized HEX file. If it fails to fit it into the device's ROM, then it prints a message which tells the user the original size of the ROM that the HEX file consumed and the size that Sya could bring it down to. This would provide the users with the information to assist them to manually trim down the design so as to fit into the device's ROM.

Please try this out and let us know your feedback on the same.
Thanks and regards
The Sya Team at RRLogic
rrlogic
Bite-Size Cheese
Bite-Size Cheese

Return to “%s” PSoC1 General