PSoCDeveloper NOT Shutting Down -- NEW

A catchall for PSoC Mixed-Signal Array (microcontroller) discussions not captured by the other forums.

Moderator: ericb

PSoCDeveloper NOT Shutting Down -- NEW

Postby ericb » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:45 pm

UPDATE - March 24th, 2014
PSoCDeveloper will NOT be shutting down. More details to come!

Effective April 1st, 2014 PSoCDeveloper will be closed.

PSoCDeveloper members have been a tremendous service to the PSoC community over the past 10 years and it saddens me to have to make this post. But, times change. I’ve always been impressed by the willingness of people, who have never met, to help each other out and I wish I could thank each of your individually for the time you have put into building the community here.

If there is any information on the PSoCDeveloper website that you want access to after April 1st please download a copy before the end of March.

Best Regards,
Eric
ericb

Re: PSoCDeveloper Shutting Down April 1st

Postby mrzee » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:15 pm

Oh wow.
I'm really sorry to hear that Eric.
It's been a while since I've been here and kind of thought it would just be around forever.
Wish you all the best and everyone else I have met through here.

MrZee.
MrZee
mrzee
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby bobmarlowe » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:42 am

Yes, too bad since this is the forum which offers a quite usable forum-software. Eric, can you insist in keeping this forum open as long as there are not satisfying improvements in the Cypress Developer Comunity (CDC)? The provided forum software lacks a LOT of features:

- No editing of posts
- No deleting of posts
- No tracking of unread posts
- No email when posts are answered
- No support for Chrome
- Errorneous support for ms Internet Explorer (Compatibility mode issues)
- No private mail for members
- No code tagging
- No code snippet paste (!!!! And THAT for a developer forum!!! Shame on Cypress, shame, shame, shame!!!!!)
- No quote tagging
- Difficult image tagging
- Slow new post update time
... and I'm sure there are some more points worth to be improved at the CDC

I even sometimes used this forum to have difficult things explained and leaving a link in the CDC.

Cypress's (obviously overpaid) web-design department knows the above list, we started telling them 2 years ago (or where it three years?) I even had two lengthy phone sessions with Cypress and some promises were made but... nothing happened...

I will be present at the "Embedded World" in Nürnberg on February 26th visiting the Cypress booth, and I really would like to talk to someone who has the responsibility to change Cypress's door to the developers and users.

Bob
bobmarlowe
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby Mr_E » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:31 am

This saddens me, as PSOCDeveloper has been my go-to resource for all things PSOC. After the Cypress website swallowed the original psoc website (yes I go back that far) I abandoned the Cypress forums because I found them unusable, and sometimes broken.

PSOCDeveloper has provided a consistently excellent experience, with top-notch developers willing to help.

Eric - I want to thank you for running this website as long as you have. I realize website hosting is "not free", in terms of time or money.

To all you fellow developers out there - I hope we will meet again.

Sincerely,
Mr_E, aka David McCurley
Mr_E
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby ericb » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:17 am

mrzee wrote:Oh wow.
I'm really sorry to hear that Eric.
It's been a while since I've been here and kind of thought it would just be around forever.
Wish you all the best and everyone else I have met through here.

MrZee.

Thanks MrZee. I have a lot of great PSoCDeveloper memories that involve you, as do several of my friends here at work. I always get a kick out of seeing your avatar too. The spinning Fosters can is genius!

Eric
ericb

Postby ericb » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:27 am

bobmarlowe wrote:Yes, too bad since this is the forum which offers a quite usable forum-software. Eric, can you insist in keeping this forum open as long as there are not satisfying improvements in the Cypress Developer Comunity (CDC)? The provided forum software lacks a LOT of features:

- No editing of posts
- No deleting of posts
- No tracking of unread posts
- No email when posts are answered
- No support for Chrome
- Errorneous support for ms Internet Explorer (Compatibility mode issues)
- No private mail for members
- No code tagging
- No code snippet paste (!!!! And THAT for a developer forum!!! Shame on Cypress, shame, shame, shame!!!!!)
- No quote tagging
- Difficult image tagging
- Slow new post update time
... and I'm sure there are some more points worth to be improved at the CDC

I even sometimes used this forum to have difficult things explained and leaving a link in the CDC.

Cypress's (obviously overpaid) web-design department knows the above list, we started telling them 2 years ago (or where it three years?) I even had two lengthy phone sessions with Cypress and some promises were made but... nothing happened...

I will be present at the "Embedded World" in Nürnberg on February 26th visiting the Cypress booth, and I really would like to talk to someone who has the responsibility to change Cypress's door to the developers and users.

Bob

Hello Bob,
It has been a long time since I could provide answers to many of the technical questions raised here, so I focused on making the forum infrastructure the best I could make it. Thank you for listing some of the features that make PSoCDeveloper a great forum platform. As for your request to keep the forum on line until Cypress forums improve if I knew when that would be I could consider it, but, I don't have any insight into their forum plans. I think bringing up the issue at Embedded World is a great idea. Please post back here to let us all know what happens.

Eric
ericb

Postby ericb » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:28 am

Mr_E wrote:This saddens me, as PSOCDeveloper has been my go-to resource for all things PSOC. After the Cypress website swallowed the original psoc website (yes I go back that far) I abandoned the Cypress forums because I found them unusable, and sometimes broken.

PSOCDeveloper has provided a consistently excellent experience, with top-notch developers willing to help.

Eric - I want to thank you for running this website as long as you have. I realize website hosting is "not free", in terms of time or money.

To all you fellow developers out there - I hope we will meet again.

Sincerely,
Mr_E, aka David McCurley

It has been my pleasure David. Thank you so much for the compliment. Wow, to have a user like you characterize PSoCDeveloper as excellent is a huge compliment.

Eric
ericb

Postby antedeluvian » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:47 am

Eric,

What a shame. I will miss PSoC developer. It was always more intuitive to navigate that the Cypress site, and for some reason the responses were more informative. Also the behaviour of all the participants was always exemplary- helpful, polite and never becoming a flame war. I am sure this is in no small measure a tribute to the way you have administered the site.

All the best
Aubrey Kagan
antedeluvian
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby bobmarlowe » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:28 am

As a wanderer between the two worlds -- ahhm--- between the two forums I can promise you that this is not the end of the days when this forum closes.
The Cypress Developer Community (CDC) located here can be of help to answer your questions. There will be a registration needed, but as I have seen some of you guys on the other side -ahhm- on the other site already that should be of no concern. No ads, no spam, only from time to time an inquiry to see wether you are satisfied or not.
The bad news is: As explained in my earlier post the CDC forum software really needs some improvements but Cypress seemingly has its focus on other things.

So when in need, do not hesitate to visit the CDC to get your kicks there.
Bob
bobmarlowe
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby arcs_n_sparks » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:15 pm

Eric,

I want to thank you for running this site. It has been most helpful, and is much superior to the Cypress effort.

Thanks again....

Mark Strauch
arcs_n_sparks
Cheese Cube
Cheese Cube

Postby danadak » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:04 am

Eric, it was clear Cypress wanted the forum to go away back some time ago. When people
do not have self confidence they oft try to restrict that of others.

That being said, any way to save the content, as searchable, at some other site ? Or offering
ftp service to get the content downloaded. There is a wealth of info here that does not
exist on Cypress main site. Shame to dump it all into the bit bucket.

Or to make the site read only so maintenance becomes almost zero (I assume, talking out
of my hiney because I do not know what that actually would mean) ?

When I search for problem issues for PSOC on the web still > 50% of the PSOC hits come from this website,
and I use them in threads on the Cypress.com site.

I am grateful for the support you gave me, and the community. Excellent site management as far as I am
concerned.

Regards, Dana.
Field Application Engineer
KB1RHB Mostly listen :)
Semi Retired
danadak
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby BitBangerB » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:25 am

Thank you Eric for the forum, it has proved invaluable on many occasions. In some cases, posts many years old served to help me solve a problem.

I would like to to ditto Dana's request that there be some way to reference the archives post-shutdown. One of the PSoC Developer community (ICECUBE) did this for the Hi-Tech hosted forums when that went away. I have no idea how it was done, but I am still able to browse it on my local machine.

Thanks again!

- Barry
BitBangerB
Cheese Wheel
Cheese Wheel

Postby ericb » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:02 pm

Thank you all for your posts. It is great to hear that the content here is valuable to you. I always thought that was the case :)

I'm looking into various options that have come up since I posted this topic. I'll post back here either way. Until then please keep posting your thoughts here.

Eric
ericb

Postby psocExperimenter » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:07 am

What are You planning to do with your domain. Is it for sale?
What are You going to do with portal content?
I have a feeling, that You decision was long awaited in Cypress.
Awkward topics disappear from Cypress forums, as opposed to yours.
psocExperimenter
Cheese Wheel
Cheese Wheel

Postby orob » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:17 pm

Eric,

Thanks for hosting this site. Its content has been extremely useful to me in learning how to program my first microcontroller - which was a psoc, and launching my first USB product with help from the members here. I have since moved on to different fields, but have referred back to this content when I needed a quick refresher for a robotics project or a hobby project at home. Great information from a lot of very intelligent and helpful individuals. I just wanted to let it be known that I appreciate the content and the help I received using this site.

-Rob
orob
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby divner » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:29 pm

Hi Eric,

I would also like to thank you for hosting PSoCDeveloper.
It was a great help to me when I started developing with th e PSoC 1. I would also like to say thank you to those who helped make the site such a wealth of knowledge.
It was a truly great resource.

I have been away for a while but I have now returned and starting to develop with PSoC 5LP.
So I am saddened to see it closing.

I would like to add my best wishes to you for the future.

Cheers,

Noel Diviney.
divner
Cheese Cube
Cheese Cube

Postby psocpete » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:44 am

is it really closing down? or is it of any note that the date for closure is april 1st?
psocpete

Postby ericb » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:17 am

psocpete wrote:is it really closing down? or is it of any note that the date for closure is april 1st?

No this isn't an April Fools joke. However, I am discussing PSoCDeveloper with Cypress. I'll post an update here as soon as I have something solid.

Eric
ericb

Postby toalan2001 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:14 pm

Thanks Eric for PSOCDeveloper, it was my primary source for support.
toalan2001
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby KennyMillar » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:31 am

I use phpBB for hosting some forums of my own, could I take over from you? we could transfer the database of users and posts most likely.
Alternatively I'd be happy to take over the hosting of the existing site?
KennyMillar
Cheese Wheel
Cheese Wheel

Return to “%s” PSoC1 General