PSoC FirstTouch Starter Kit

A catchall for PSoC Mixed-Signal Array (microcontroller) discussions not captured by the other forums.

Moderator: ericb

Postby wrightpc on Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:13 pm

Has everyone seen the new starter kit? Looks like an entire ICE in a little USB thumb drive sized connection!

http://www.cypress.com/firsttouch/

Can anyone confirm if it is the full ICE, or just a programmer board.

Thanks,

Paul. :)
wrightpc
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby toalan2001 on Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:15 pm

Damn you almost gave me a heart attack. I do not see that it includes an ICE.

Regards,

Alan To
toalan2001
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby wrightpc on Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:33 pm

Well, what is the little USB thingee? Can anyone confirm what it does as I can't seem to find an explanation.

The fact it has the same connector as the ICE makes me think that it could be a cut-down ICE.

I am beginning to wonder if it ONLY links with Express.

Paul. :)
Attachments
FirstTouch.jpg
FirstTouch Picture
FirstTouch.jpg (41.13 KiB) Viewed 4438 times
wrightpc
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby toalan2001 on Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:02 pm

You might be right about the connector, tough to tell if it is 2x8 or just a 1x8. An integrated ICE would be a huge deal, if they did not spell it out in bold colors then my guess it is that there is no ICE functionality.

I do not see the 24094 chip anywhere, I assume that the 24094 chip would be the required debugging chip for that design. the cy8c24098 is pretty big, should be the length of 6 to 7 2.5 mm pitch pinheaders, so it is easy to spot.

I admit thought that I do not want to believe that it has ICE functionality as I just spent my lunch money on an ICE cube not too long ago. If it did have ICE functionality then it is about time a cheap and small ICE debugger for PSOC, gives me hope that improved development tools are right around the corner.

Regards,

Alan Too
toalan2001
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby ravo on Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:34 pm

Hello,

The connector is 2x8 but different pinouts. There is no ICE connection. It has PSoC ISSP connection + I2C bus, and 4 GPIO. .FTPC use CY8C24894 as a bridge. The target PSoC on extension board is normal CY8C21434 (without RADON interface).

There is complete documentation with schematics:
http://download.cypress.com.edgesuite.n ... hGuide.pdf

Radim
ravo
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby jpkeng on Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:38 pm

Plus the actual ICE uses the xilinx device to run the M8C RTL, thats how it does the emulation.

-Jason
jpkeng
Cheese Wheel
Cheese Wheel

Postby warm38spl on Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:16 am

I bought two and they are broken right out of the box.
I installed all the drivers including Express3.0 and PSoCProgrammer 2.31...
I chose the LightSensor and followed the instructions.
I tried to program it and it said that the device Major Rev "@" is not in the database. So it aborted and would not program -- either one. The Silicon is not in the database.

IOW, it is broken right out of the box. 8-b

The problem seems to be the Express3.0, or the project, or the actual chips provided. I do not see any way to select a "new and improved" chip that is in the database.

So as soon as you get it you have to get an upgrade to even use it.

EIther that, or anything Analog just hates me. :-(

wade
warm38spl
Bite-Size Cheese
Bite-Size Cheese

Postby jpkeng on Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:17 am

Which chip is it that you are trying to use ? I have not had any problems with the few that I have received.

-JPK
jpkeng
Cheese Wheel
Cheese Wheel

Postby warm38spl on Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:39 am

Please re-read my post. "I followed the directions" The directions say to "Click Next in the following two screens". If you follow directions, like I did, you will have seleted CY8C2134, which happens to be the exact chip on the board.
There CAN BE NO WRONG SELECTION MADE if you follow directions, which I did.

Again re-read my post. The programming had NO PROBLEM with the chip selected but with the silicon REVISION of the chip. It did not say "bozo, you picked a chip different than the one you told me to program".

I repeat: FirstTouch IS BROKEN right out of the box. 2 out of 2 times. I'm happy for you that yours worked. I got part of a defective lot.

Does anyone know who I can contact to get one that works or get my money back for defective products -- 2 out of 2?
warm38spl
Bite-Size Cheese
Bite-Size Cheese

Postby warm38spl on Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:51 am

Oops, I left off a "4" The chip is CY8C21434.
The chip itself on the board has the number split as such
CY8C214
3424FLXI
0701 KOR
603735 <and a little square here>

Both defective chips have the same numbers -- the defective lot.
warm38spl
Bite-Size Cheese
Bite-Size Cheese

Postby warm38spl on Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:38 am

Oh, great. Today I get the same nasty-gram as before and then the PSoCProgrammer gives me a Run Time Error! Abnormal program termination. Even after reinstalling PSoC Programmer. But the Good News is that it now complains that the Rev is "0" instead of "@". Maybe after a few more reinstalls of PSoCProgrammer I'll be up to where it should be (whatever that is) and then it will work.
Hmmmm... or should I reinstall Express 3.0, or would it be the driver?

Ideas? Or somene to contact about a refund?

I hate it when things don't work first time out of the box. Lousy advertising.

wade
warm38spl
Bite-Size Cheese
Bite-Size Cheese

Postby warm38 on Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:49 am

Someone on the Cypress "Support" discussion forum complained bitterly about the lack of support from Cypress after a sale is made. There was at least one confirming opinion replying to that. I now agree with them. It is terrible when the bulk of support for PSoC comes from USERS (as is the main bulk of this forum) instead of Cypress.

I have been totally unable to get ANY response from Cypress as to
1) how to fix the "silicon version not in the database" message
2) get a replacement
3) get a refund

Cypress Support SUCKS! I like PSoC, but Cypress AFTER SALES support SUCKS!
warm38
Bite-Size Cheese
Bite-Size Cheese

Postby orob on Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:59 pm

Open a technical support case and they will call you. They called me within an hour the first time I submitted mine. If you accidentally submit two, they will call you for that too. I found that their forum isn't as fast for replies as this one. If you have an RMA issue though, call their phone number and ask to speak with technical support. I've spoken with 4 different people there who were very helpful (and only one that wasn't), so you have an 80% chance of getting some help.

Sorry to hear your boards were lemons. My ICE and programmer and demo board all work well. So far I seem to be the problem in the operation.

Best wishes.
orob
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby warm38 on Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:16 am

How can you submit a TechincalSupport Case?
I tried 2 different days, trying to follow the advice of orob.
I went to Cypress, logged in; went to Support; finally got to manage case; and filled out the form.

Part Number: Part Number:
Product: PSoC Mixed-Signal...
*Subject: PSoC First Touch broken out of the box
*Description:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sometime before Sept 20 (Sept 20 is when I posted my first complaint about the problem to the PSoC Developers forum) I bought two FirstTouch Starter Kits CY3270 and they are broken right out of the box.
I installed all the drivers including Express3.0 and PSoCProgrammer 2.31...
I chose the LightSensor and followed the instructions (Click 'Next' twice).
I tried to program it and it said that the device Major Rev "@" is not in the database. So it aborted and would not program -- either one. The Silicon is not in the database. The programmer had NO PROBLEM with the CHIP selected but with the silicon REVISION of the chip.

IOW, it is broken right out of the box. 8-b

I did an uninstall and then a reinstall. Same result. The MiniProg programmer works but not the FirstTouch programmer.

The chip itself on the board has the number split as such
CY8C214
3424FLXI
0701 KOR
603735 <and a little square here>

I have been totally unable to get ANY response from Cypress on the Support->Discussion Boards -> PSoC or Express or phone call to a local (Tampa area) rep as to
1) how to fix the "silicon version not in the database" message
2) get a replacement
3) get a refund

My new laptop has been returned to me (Toshiba G35, now on its third motherboard) and I have not yet had the desire to install the package on the new laptop after Toshiba did a disk wipe of my harddrive.

BTW, how do I get my PS0C Designer ImageCraft C compiler to be REactivated on the wiped harddrive?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I click "Submit" and wait 5 min until IT TIMES OUT
Do it again and wait 5 min until IT TIMES OUT ... and on and on for how many weeks? I'll try agian next week and bellyache then too.

The Cypress [NON]Support website SUCKS. Customer [NON]Support SUCKS!

I'll keep posting The Cypress [NON]Support SUCKS until one of those useless #%$^&#s finally allow me to get an answer of SOME KIND.

They are so pathetic.
warm38
Bite-Size Cheese
Bite-Size Cheese

Postby orob on Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:35 am

Sorry to hear of your trouble. I'm not getting responses as before either. To reenable the imagecraft compiler, you do a registry hack and put the serial number in the registry.

Use the text below and make a file from notepad (I'm using XP SP2) with your license number in the quotes where it says PUT YOUR LICENSE# HERE. Be sure to give the file a .reg extension. You should be able to double click on it and it will put it in the registry for you. My version of designer would not accept a license, so I found this somewhere- probably on this board. Anyway, I had to tweak it a bit, so try this:

FILE STARTS HERE->

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cypress MicroSystems\PSoC Designer\AddIn\Compilers\IMAGECRAFT]
"COMPILER_LICENSE"="PUT YOUR LICENSE# HERE"

<- FILE ENDS HERE

One last thing... if you accidentally submit two inquiries for the same thing, they call you. I submitted one, then a second that was totally different and the second one duplicated the first, so they called me. I'm not suggesting you try that, but if you really need help call their application engineering line at 425-787-4814, email, or call their 800-541-4736 number. I hope things turn out for you. Good luck.
orob
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby warm38 on Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:54 am

I searched a *.reg backup I made before Toshiba Repair Depot wiped my harddrive. Thanks to your clues I found the License number and I was able to reactivate the C compiler.

Thanks for the help!

Now if only Cypress Customer [NON] Support were as helpful....
warm38
Bite-Size Cheese
Bite-Size Cheese

Postby warm38 on Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:00 am

So, any Ideas how to submit a technical support case with their website NOT accepting new ones?
Can YOU still get in and submit one for PSoC?
Maybe you could try submittinig what I did and see if you can get it into their system, and if they call you (yeah, right) you could send them to their support discussion forum to get my contact info.

Yeah, it's a long shot (assuming that the website is not totally screwed for PSoC).

I'll try submitting the TS case in a day or two and then post the standard "Cypress [NON] support sucks" message.
warm38
Bite-Size Cheese
Bite-Size Cheese

Postby orob on Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:08 am

I just had another issue with a type definition and their documented limitations. I describe it in a post about EEPROM, but I just picked up the phone and called their app support line 425-787-4814 and got a person on the phone. I'm telling you, this is the way to go. Pick up the phone. Regarding their speed in returning the calls, I've only had them call back on 2 occasions and I've tried to interact with them about 10 times, so their stellar response feedback I provided you isn't keeping with my initial perception. If you tell them on the phone that your PSoC kit is not working, they tend to jump right on that... or so I thought. As far as me submitting your problem, I could do that, but my latest one is still open and I'm still waiting on a followup code snippet promised for early last week. I don't think it would get you anywhere faster. Try the call.
orob
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby ravo on Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:11 am

Hello

This is not "electronic problem", maybe smile question. I've problem with opening PSoC Firsttouch from end cap which is covered the USB connector. It is for first time, and I don't won't do destroy plastic holder. It seems that was pushed by harder pressure.

Has someone an easy idea ?

Regards
Radim
ravo
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby ravo on Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:42 am

I did, made it :-)))

but it was nightmare to not destroy the housing of kit when using brute method.

Cypress men have got strong arms :-)

have a nice day

Radim
ravo
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Return to PSoC1 General