Looking for a DALI full compliant interface design

This is the forum to discuss the Intelligent Lighting solutions offered by Cypress. The discussion topics include HBLED Drivers, Dimming Technology and Communication Methods.

Moderator: yzr

Looking for a DALI full compliant interface design

Postby nan358 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:29 pm

I'm looking for a DALI interface schematic design which fully comply DALI electrical specification. Would there any that I can see?

There are several "reference" DALI interface designs on the Web. I have found so far:However, none of these fully comply DALI specification.

Taking the Cypress design for example, its DALI receiver design consumes about 16mA at the maximum DALI line voltage (= 22.5V), where the value must not exceed 2mA according to the specification. Though the other designs meet the receiver current specification, they would suffer severe distortion on the received signal near the minimum DALI line voltage (= 9.5V), due to the opto-coupler signal transfer characteristic.

And none of these designs seem to consider about the DALI transmitter signal slew rate specification that 10%-90% rise time/90%-10% fall time must be between 10us and 100us.

--
Nobu
nan358
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Re: Looking for a DALI full compliant interface design

Postby thomasino » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:55 am

Dear Nobu

I have just about the same problems as you have. I started using a ref design from Atmel, but found that it was impossible to make it meet the DALI standard regarding Current + to get a robust signal at low voltage.

Did you succeed in finding a sollution and if yes will you share the schematic?

Best regards
Thomas Pedersen
thomasino

Re: Looking for a DALI full compliant interface design

Postby mkku » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:14 pm

Thomas,

We are currently updating the Cypress DALI reference design to make it compliant to the DALI specs. Once the design is finalized and the compliance testing is done, will post more info here.

-Madhan
mkku

Return to “%s” Intelligent Lighting