External memory solutions for PSoC 5LP

A catchall for PSoC5 discussions not captured by the other forums.

Moderator: ericb

External memory solutions for PSoC 5LP

Postby Ruskuls » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:38 am

Hello!
I am using PSoC dev kit from kickstarter, called FreeSoC, i have connected external ADC - 500kSPS and 16Bit data width. I need to store acquired data into external memory, it would be cool if minimum data amount would be at least 32MB.
So i need to decide what kind of external memory could do such task. (it should support data throughput at least 1MB/s).

My first guess was SD card, but it wont achieve such speeds in SPI mode, also checked ASRAM/SSRAM, they are too expensive and too small memory density (or i am wrong?).
also i checked NOR FLASH with SPI, they have great option - QSPI, but does PSoC support such interface?

Maybe someone have solution to my problem or some advice there do i need to look, i'll appreciate such advice!

P.S. i have some experience in digital system design - Verilog, VHDL, so if there is some sort of solution involving writing controller in Verilog i will try!

Thanks for help!
Rinalds
Ruskuls

Re: External memory solutions for PSoC 5LP

Postby danadak » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:45 pm

The component datasheet says max bit rate is 18 Mbps, although in electrical tables its
16 Mhz, not sure if thats an error....?

You have to obtain the data from thew A/D, then retransmit to memory. That tells me
DMA should be involved, however DMA latency probably too high for your required bit
rate of 8 Mbps.

You may have to do this thru Verilog solution, then you would have a handle on all
timing.

Also you might consider the EMIF component, basic period is ~ 33 nS, examine rest of
timing to see if that may work.

Regards, Dana.
Field Application Engineer
KB1RHB Mostly listen :)
Semi Retired
danadak
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby Ruskuls » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:32 am

The component datasheet says max bit rate is 18 Mbps, although in electrical tables its
16 Mhz, not sure if thats an error....?

Yes, You are write, maximum bit rate in SPI mode is 18Mbps. But if memory IC is used where are additional CMD's for writing and reading data from / to memory IC, so overall data transfer speed is reduced.

Also you might consider the EMIF component, basic period is ~ 33 nS, examine rest of
timing to see if that may work.

Cypress is telling what EMIF supports NOR Flash ( serial/parallel???) If it's true, it would be cool, but there are no additional information about it.

Best regards,
Rinalds
Ruskuls

Postby danadak » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:14 am

The EMIF and SPI are to be used with DMA, and there are example projects
in Creator for doing this. From either the file menu or right click unselected
component (in this case DMA). Or use DMA wizard to do basic setup.

Regards, Dana.
Field Application Engineer
KB1RHB Mostly listen :)
Semi Retired
danadak
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Return to “%s” PSoC5 General