Transformer for DC-DC converter

This form is for general electronics discussions, but, not PSoC.

Moderator: ericb

Forum rules
As you would expect spam, vulgar language, or discussions not related to electronics are banned from this forum.

Transformer for DC-DC converter

Postby arivalagan13 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:08 am

Hello all,
In the process of designing a DC-DC converter am stuck with a major blow with transformer..

My project is 9V DC to 500V DC converter...The 9V source will be coming from a normal 9V battery available in markets..and output current shall be scaled down appropriately..(for control i'll be using PSoC1)

I need to construct a transformer for this application..

i would like to switch the transformer with approximately around 20 or 30KHz..(am not clear with how to choose the frequency systematically :( )

I've done this sofar:
Taken a E(or M) shaped ferrite core and bobbin of appropriate size..in the primary 90 turns of AWG no. 46 and in the secondary 5000 turns of AWG no. 26)
..I was expecting for a 9:500V(i/p:o/p) but as i gave 1V sinewave through function generator i got only 22V sinewave @ secondary but will lot of noise surmounted on the sinewave...simply not my day..

Then i purchased a ready-made switching transformer used for SMPS to trigger out how it was constructed and to test it..(unfortunately none of the specs. are known to the local vendor)...nothing worked my way..then i cut-open this and found similar type of construction which i did it myself...

Can somebody kindly support me constructing the transformer for the above specs :mrgreen:

Note: I humbly welcome support with some design example..sorry i should not expect this but (please accept my apologies) am in critical phase of my project work and need to finish it ASAP..

Kindly support...

Regards
Arivalagan M
arivalagan13
Cheese Wheel
Cheese Wheel

Re: Transformer for DC-DC converter

Postby bobmarlowe » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:40 am

Let me think: Did you measure the applied voltage at the primary coil or did you trust your function generator to deliver the needed current without decrease of output voltage?
bobmarlowe
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Re: Transformer for DC-DC converter

Postby arivalagan13 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:17 pm

Thanks for reminding it,Bob...i understand it would load...

what i did to the primary was the following:
Top end of primary will be connected to V+ of battery..to the other end of primary will be one transistor buffer...
Transistor collector to primary's bottom end,emitter grounded..base is getting input from Schmitt trigger through a 2.2K resistor..using SL100 transistor for this..

Regards
Arivalagan M
arivalagan13
Cheese Wheel
Cheese Wheel

Return to “%s” General Electronics Discussion