Obtaining IC samples

This form is for general electronics discussions, but, not PSoC.

Moderator: ericb

Forum rules
As you would expect spam, vulgar language, or discussions not related to electronics are banned from this forum.

Obtaining IC samples

Postby cyberstudio » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:50 am

Obtaining samples for most chips has never been a problem, but lately I was in need of some newly introduced chips.

One manufacturer has a shortened product brief, no full datasheet, and offered no samples. Their support was great and they advised that Digikey sells the chip in small quantities but I am still asking them for detailed information even if they are not going to release the full datasheet. The information must be there since the chip is in full production and you need a datasheet to design the chip into your product.

Another manufacturer again offered no samples but this time I can't buy it in small quantities.

Both of these are relatively new products, less than a year old I guess, but they are in full production. I wonder, isn't it at a product's introduction that potential customers need information and samples the most? It is sounding like a bank which lends you money when you don't need it, but wouldn't lend you money when you need.

Is it because I am not a big company such as Apple? What has your experience been?
cyberstudio
Cheese Wheel
Cheese Wheel

Re: Obtaining IC samples

Postby Mr_E » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:32 am

Hmmm, shooting themselves in the foot? No one is going to develop with them if they don't know how to use the product.
Mr_E
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Return to “%s” General Electronics Discussion