PSoC programmer 3.10 not happy !!

This forum focuses on questions and issues with the Cypress PSoC Programmer software and Misc. PSoC Tools

Moderator: ericb

PSoC programmer 3.10 not happy !!

Postby cowboy_film_fan » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:25 am

Hello All,

I'm absolutely not happy with the way PsoC Programmer 3.10 installs !!.At first I thought Haaa,a smaller footprint (5.5Mb) but nothing of that kind.
It seems to contact Cypress and load a lot of data afterwards.

This means I cannot save my installer packages for any future use.If I need to install the whole thing somewhere in 2013 again,will I get the same data ???
ofcoarse not.It may start downloading a version with issues I do not have right now!!

Practice has already shown that one must always retain the installer packages (what if you need PSD5.0 SP3a???) since Cypress just withdraws software at random.
So, now that I could express my dissatisfaction with this situation, is there anyone wary of a way to retain this afterwards downloaded data ?
cowboy_film_fan
Bite-Size Cheese
Bite-Size Cheese

Re: PSoC programmer 3.10 not happy !!

Postby abitkin » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:13 am

cowboy_film_fan wrote:Hello All,

I'm absolutely not happy with the way PsoC Programmer 3.10 installs !!.At first I thought Haaa,a smaller footprint (5.5Mb) but nothing of that kind.
It seems to contact Cypress and load a lot of data afterwards.

This means I cannot save my installer packages for any future use.If I need to install the whole thing somewhere in 2013 again,will I get the same data ???
ofcoarse not.It may start downloading a version with issues I do not have right now!!

Practice has already shown that one must always retain the installer packages (what if you need PSD5.0 SP3a???) since Cypress just withdraws software at random.
So, now that I could express my dissatisfaction with this situation, is there anyone wary of a way to retain this afterwards downloaded data ?

Well, with things like PSoC Creator or the DVK there is an ISO image you can download. The ISO is meant for offline installs, so it will not be affected by updates.

That said, I believe with this new installer Cypress is going to keep all previous versions up on the web and will not retract them. So in 2013, you should get exactly the same thing you installed today if you ask for the same version.
abitkin
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby Jerson » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:08 pm

Well said. I had exactly the same issues trying to install PSD5.0 with Prog3.1 Then I had a virus strike and needed to reformat the drive. The scenario expressed by you hit me then. So, now, I talked with my distributor and got a copy of the PSOC creator beta CD that also has latent images of PSD5.0 and the Programmer.

I also like the look and feel of the new tool chain. However, I am bugged by the longer startup time compared to PSD4.3 Is it really necessary for Cypress to complicate things just so they look chic and modern ? The end result is what I care about.
PSoC/8051/PIC/ARM/MSP430 - Embedded Systems Design
http://jerson.co.in
Jerson
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Yahoo Messenger: embedded.design@yahoo.com

Postby xiao » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:05 pm

That is true for that case, we have student projects based on InventionBoard and a specific programmer package.
Cypress removed that software package and we are hanging around with lost of the CD, there is no time or budgetary to setup another hardware to deal with those continue development of projects, so bad luck.
xiao

Postby roy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:17 pm

Archive of all PSoC Programmer software is available here
http://www.cypress.com/?rID=2575
roy
Cheese Cube
Cheese Cube

Return to “%s” PSoC Programmer & Misc. Cypress Tools