PSoC Creator Feedback

Discussion of the PSoC Creator Integrated Development Environment for PSoC3 & PSoC5 devices.

Moderator: ericb

PSoC Creator Feedback

Postby ericb » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:55 am

Have an idea for how to make PSoC Creator even better? This is the place to share it with Cypress and the rest of the PSoCDeveloper community. Cypress is soliciting your feedback to help shape the future of PSoCDeveloper. So, don't be shy let everyone know about your idea by posting a reply to this topic :!:

Cheers,
Eric
ericb

Re: PSoC Creator Feedback

Postby jmg » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:06 pm

Report file improvements:

Report files are important project 'pictures', and the PSoC RPT one gives a short summary, and
then lots of detail. Some info is also in the MAP file, but needs trawling...

So the RPT needs something added in between the short summary and bit-level-detail.

A good template would be the Component datasheet, which now has a resource table
(often incomplete, or wrong)

Using the report flow to create a 'live' copy of that, solves two problems
a) The Datasheets do not need to be edited as often, they can have indicative maximums
b) users can see exactly what their variant of a component uses.

Present Component table:
Code: Select all
Resources
Digital Blocks                                                         API Memory
                                                                       (Bytes)
Resolution       Datapaths     Macro   Status      Control       Counter7 Flash RAM
                              cells   Registers     Registers
8-Bits            1             5        2           1            0    2422  487
16-Bits           2             5        2           1            0    2403  490
24-Bits           3             5        2           1            0    2486  496
32-Bits           4             5        2           1            0    2581  496

So the improved report file would contain a one line copy of this, for each component, tagged with your component name, and it would also tour the MAP file, and pull in the API memory details, for something like this (trimmed)
This expands the API totals in the above table, to show what was used, and what was discarded

Code: Select all
API Item            Flash   RAM(type)
-------------------+------+---------------------
Totals              36     4.Data, 2.XData 
-------------------+------+---------------------
ShiftReg_Start      24     4.Data
ShiftReg_WriteData  12     2.XData
ShiftReg_Stop       *DEL*
ShiftReg_EnableInt  *DEL*
ShiftReg_DisableInt *DEL*

by doing this, the report matches up nicely with the Component Documentation, and users can see at
a glance what they have used, and not used, and this is also very good for version control.
jmg
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby jmg » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:09 pm

Allow user source-access to the various Clock Frequency values, as real and longint.

I've trawled the files looking for a source value define for the Project Clock settings, but cannot see anything.

So the suggestion is to add some simple #defines into a file, that users can use to
do subsequent timer or maths calculations, and that will self-track changes in project
clock settings.

The report files should also list a summary of clock frequency settings, as such ASCII
files are commonly used for version control
jmg
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby jmg » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:52 pm

Missing Library functions

If the system excludes HDL design entry, then it needs a Library with useful functions.

Most glaring omissions are

* DFF, has no DFF_CE version (ie missing clock enable)
* TFF and TFF_CE are omitted
* JKFF and JKFF_CE would complete the set.

* Digital Comparator function is missing : A=B; A>B A<B cascadable.

These can be kludged with tables, but really, entering 1's and 0's is NOT high level design at all, and very hard
to maintain.

In an example instance, it has taken 5 blocks and 30 pins to replace 4 lines of Simple Boolean Equation.

* All symbols lack the ability to rename the Pins. (or name the nets)
jmg
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby CJohannsen » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:58 am

I would REALLY like to see automatic ruber-banding on the interconnect wires. I am referring to the ability to move a component in the design, and have the interconnect wires automatically adjusted by the IDE (similar to Rational Rose or Visio).

Cory
Cory A. Johannsen
Software and Embedded System Designer
McDonald Technologies, Intl. Inc
CJohannsen
Bite-Size Cheese
Bite-Size Cheese

Postby CJohannsen » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:19 am

This is a bug in the IDE:

Once a Digital Line has been configured as a Clock input through the Clock panel, it can not be removed from the design, even if the Clock is disabled. If it is removed, and you attempt to open the Clock pnael, an exception is generated.

Steps to repeat:
1. Add a digital input to the deisgn.
2. Connect a wire to the input
3. Name the wire (I choose XTAL_CLK)
4. Open the .cydwr
5. Select the Clocks tab.
6. Double clock Digital_Signal
7. Enable the Digital Signal checkbox.
8. Click the ellipsis button (...)
9. Enter a frequency and select the XTAL_CLK wire, then click OK.
10. Close the Clocks panel compile the design.
11. Open the Clocks panel and double click Digital_Signal
12. Disable the Digital Signal checkbox.
13. Close the Clocks panel. Note that in the Clocks list, Digital-Signal is disable, but still ,aintains a source clock of XTAL_CLK
14. Switch to the design view and delete the XTAL_CLK wire.
15. Open the Clocks list and attempt to open the Digital_Signal. An exception will be displayed. At this point the only way to gain access to the Clocks panel is to add a wire to the design with the name XTAL_CLK. There is no way to remove the association between tge Digital_Signal and the named wire.
Cory A. Johannsen
CJohannsen
Bite-Size Cheese
Bite-Size Cheese

Postby CJohannsen » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:23 am

I would very much like to see integrated version control support. Subversion would be preferrable.
Cory A. Johannsen
CJohannsen
Bite-Size Cheese
Bite-Size Cheese

Postby heng » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:04 am

Hi,

It would be very great if a configuration report generator tool was implemented (like in psoc designer "generate configuration file" option in build section).
In one file (pdf or other) we can print all schematic, pin, interrupt ... configuration.
heng
Cheese Cube
Cheese Cube

Postby tek » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:18 am

Ability to change the keyboard shortcuts
tek
Cheese Cube
Cheese Cube

Postby abitkin » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:37 am

tek wrote:Ability to change the keyboard shortcuts

Unless I'm missing something, this already exists in creator. Right click on a tool bar, choose Customize... and then click on the Keyboard tab, which is very similar to Office.
abitkin
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby RAMaston » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:16 am

Another SDK to learn? Of course as soon as I get used to PD along comes Creator. Such as life in this line of work. Any plans to use/import PSoC 1 devices into Creator?
RAM
If you're not a psychiatrist, stay away from idiots... Stanislaw J. Lec
RAMaston
Cheese Wheel
Cheese Wheel

Postby tek » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:19 am

abitkin wrote:
tek wrote:Ability to change the keyboard shortcuts

Unless I'm missing something, this already exists in creator. Right click on a tool bar, choose Customize... and then click on the Keyboard tab, which is very similar to Office.

Well, that was easy :) Thanks!
tek
Cheese Cube
Cheese Cube

Postby tek » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:20 pm

I want to point out that I really love the PSoC....so the feedback here is only to help improve the user experience with the product.

If you recall from PSoC Designer, the hardware and software were separated and build/clean on the software side didn't affect the hardware. Changes in the hardware side required a build on both sides.

Now I know the compiler is smart enough to know when to rebuild (even on header change) so maybe this is more of a sanity request :)
I would really like to see a software clean, and full clean.

Tek
tek
Cheese Cube
Cheese Cube

Postby Who Knew » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:40 am

PSoC Creator 1.0Beta4.1 has a variety of things you can do with the Build toolbar button, Build, Build+Clean, and Clean.

What about adding Build+Program Part. I always click Program Part after build, unless there's an error in the build. Why can't it be automated?

Or, how about adding a Build finished sound to the Windows sound scheme?
Who Knew
Cheese Wheel
Cheese Wheel

Postby graaja » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:42 pm

The program part button (and also the debugger button) takes care of this. When you click on the Program part button, if there has been a change to the code or hardware schematic, the project is automatically built before programming.
graaja
PSoC Master
PSoC Master

Postby Who Knew » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:15 pm

Awesome! I'll try it. But I'd still like a Windows sound after everything's done. Right now I set a timer for two minutes and go play solitaire.
Who Knew
Cheese Wheel
Cheese Wheel

Postby Who Knew » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:36 am

In PSoC Designer, I liked that the time was tacked on at the end of the lines in the output display. I don't really care about the time for all the intermediate stuff, I really just like being able to see the when I built the project last and when I programmed the part last.

If it's a performance hog to put the time at the end of each line, all I really want is the time tacked on to the end of the major message lines, like build succeeded, or Device "xxx" was successfully programmed.
Who Knew
Cheese Wheel
Cheese Wheel

Postby rocketmagnet » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:35 am

Hi, thanks for the opportunity to help improve the PSoC development tools. I assume I can make suggestions about Creator as well as Designer ?

I would like to see: Improved zooming and panning on the schematic sheets.

Currently, Zooming happens by holding CTRL and using the wheel, while panning is either wheel on its own for up/down, or SHIFT + wheel for left right. This is feels quite clumsy and not consistent. Scrolling up and down with the wheel makes sense for very tall documents, like a PDF which rarely needs to scroll left and right, but for a schematic sheet which is wider that it is tall, it makes no sense.

I know that this probably seems like an unimportant feature, and not worth the time to get just right, but it's probably one of the most used functions. I'm constantly zooming in and out of my design, and scrolling around it.

I think this would be a much slicker interface:

Zoom with the scroll wheel on its own. The zoom is always centered on the mouse cursor, so essentially you can zoom and pan at the same time.
Scroll by centre click (click the wheel) and drag.

This means we can pan and zoom using only one hand, which is nice for just sitting back and examining your design. Many CAD packages use this system, and of all the interfaces I've tried, I find this one the slickest.

Many thanks

Hugo Elias - Shadow Robot Co
rocketmagnet
Cheese Cube
Cheese Cube

Postby Who Knew » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:13 am

rocketmagnet wrote:...I think this would be a much slicker interface:

Zoom with the scroll wheel on its own. The zoom is always centered on the mouse cursor, so essentially you can zoom and pan at the same time.

Yes! Please do add this feature.

I've suggested this to the feedback email they provide in PSoC Creator help menu, as well as in a focus group that Cypress held a few years ago, so I know the developers are quite familiar with the concept/how this is done/etc.

I think PSoC Designer uses Adobe's SVG viewer to present the interconnect graphic. This viewer may not have the capability to zoom+pan with the scroll wheel. I can live with that.

PSoC Creator, however, should certainly allow for the zoom+pan with the scroll wheel effect. This way of manipulating a graphic is very effective and quite addictive. Once you get used to a program that has this feature implemented well, it seems so clumsy to switch to a graphical program that doesn't use this method.
Who Knew
Cheese Wheel
Cheese Wheel

Postby rocketmagnet » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:23 am

Who Knew wrote:Yes! Please do add this feature.

Once you get used to a program that has this feature implemented well, it seems so clumsy to switch to a graphical program that doesn't use this method.

Thanks for the backup!
rocketmagnet
Cheese Cube
Cheese Cube

Return to “%s” PSoC Creator (PSoC3 & PSoC5 IDE)