PSoC Creator Feedback

Discussion of the PSoC Creator Integrated Development Environment for PSoC3 & PSoC5 devices.

Moderator: ericb

Re: PSoC Creator Feedback

Postby abitkin » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:12 am

moxbox wrote:Since I deal with PSoC Customers a lot, I'll list the main requests that I repeatedly get -
some are "deal breakers" for several customers,
and they won't look at using PSoC3/5 until these are possible :

#1) Linux Platform Support -
this could be under WINE/Emulation, but needs to be supported
before a few MAJOR customers will even look at PSoC1/3/5...

The closest you can get today is Virtual Box with Windows.

moxbox wrote:#2) Source Code Control System Support (SCCS) -
CVS, Subversion, Git, etc.
Bundles are a nice feature, but they are not SCCS.
Real programmers use source code control...

#3) Better C/C++ Programming interface/IDE Support -
When I see people resorting to 1970's Hungarian Notation
(i.e. bByteVariable, wWordVariable, wWordReturnAPI_Call, etc.)
it is usually a sign that their programming IDE lacks the basic ability
to hover over a Variable and see it's defined type.
That is a real productivity killer...
CodeWright, Eclipse, etc. are far better programming/editing interfaces.
And yes, it is possible to use them outside of the Creator IDE, but it's a pain...

#4) Regression batch/build automation (Nightly build server) -
The IDE should dump out a Makefile that can referenced by a batch/build server.
See #2 Source Code control...
Real programmers want a batch script that checks the latest project version
out from the source code control system and builds it, running from a CRON script
every night.

The IDE does. It is the project file. Run the CyPrjMgr Command Line Tool. You can find it in the help by searching for command line.

moxbox wrote:#5) Simulator Support -
While the verilog modeling may be difficult, at least a processor simulator should
be supported for running canned testing on nightly builds - see #4

-----------------------------------------------

What is preventing this? You have C code, you can include it into an external project and do this.
abitkin
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby moxbox » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:03 am

So Abitkin - have you been successful at getting Creator to run under Virtual Box?
That would be a really interesting "HowTo" to share, if you've got it working.

I'm relaying comments from customers (without name dropping, as they wouldn't appreciate it),
about what it wil take for some large embedded companies to adopt PSoC3/5.

I would contrast what the Cypress CCD division has done with Creator/PSoC35,
with what the DCD division has done by adopting Eclipse as the IDE for the
FX3 - USB3.0 device controller - same company, but very different solutions.
The companies that I'm dealing with have adopted FX3 and it's development
environment with open ARMs (so to speak).

The point about Source Code Control is one of integration (as in IDE),
having to exit the editor and resort to a command line for that is not optimum.
Eclipse for example, let's you integrate a Subversion or Git view into the IDE,
and manage that from the same environment. It's all about productivity really.

Anyway, Creator feedback was requested, and that's what I'm providing...
If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?
-- Albert Einstein
moxbox
Cheese Cube
Cheese Cube

Postby BillT123 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:35 am

For Creator 1, or 2 Early, with External reference selected in a SAR adc, the only choices for pins are P0.2 & P0.4.
What do I need to do to get P0.3 & P3.2 as pins for this External reference?

Thanls, Bill T.
BillT123

Postby hlipka » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:40 am

BillT123 wrote:For Creator 1, or 2 Early, with External reference selected in a SAR adc, the only choices for pins are P0.2 & P0.4.
What do I need to do to get P0.3 & P3.2 as pins for this External reference?

You cannot. The buffering uses, I think, the internal OpAmps, which are bound to this pins. (I think this is unfortunate since this means that you cannot use 2 SARs together with OpAmp functionality like PGA :(
hlipka

Postby todd » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:59 pm

Oh no! What happened to the sample code in each of the app notes! The example projects don't have enough coverage. I2C only has EZI2C instead of the nice loop-back example from the old app note.
todd
Cheese Wheel
Cheese Wheel

Postby todd » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:09 pm

todd
Cheese Wheel
Cheese Wheel

Postby rocketmagnet » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:33 am

moxbox and Abitkin,

SVN integration would be very nice to have in the IDE itself, but I would settle for having it possible at all.

The problem at the moment is that Creator generates dozens of files, and it's very difficult to know which
of these are supposed to go into the repository, and which are supposed to left alone. Please don't tell me
to just add everything to the repository. The repository should contain only the files which are required.
For example the .cyprj TopDesign, custom components, main.c, etc. should go into the repository.
Whereas all of the generated source, .cycdx, .cyfit, .cyversion, .rpt, etc. should not.

My feature request is to put all of the generated files into a folder clearly marked as such, and put all of the
necessary files put into a folder clearly marked as such. Then I can simply add that folder to the repository,
and ignore the rest.

Hugo
rocketmagnet
Cheese Cube
Cheese Cube

Postby rocketmagnet » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:46 am

I just wanted to say that today I tried PSoC Creator 2.1, and I am very pleased with the changes that have been made to it.

I really get the feeling that Cypress is listening to the developers and trying to help them. I especially appreciate:
  1. Rubber banding
  2. Document Manager
  3. Analog routing editor

Crossing my fingers for these changes in 2.2:
  1. SVN integration
  2. Pre and Post build steps
rocketmagnet
Cheese Cube
Cheese Cube

Postby mgs » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:01 pm

I'm reviewing all the requests to keep our wish list for Creator features up to date (I "dip in" to this thread every now and again - it's regular but not frequent!).

To make sure I get the right idea, would you explain what you mean by "Pre and Post build steps".

-- mgs
mgs
Cheese Wheel
Cheese Wheel

Postby rocketmagnet » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:05 am

Hi mgs,

What are Pre and Post build steps?

Compiling code normally consists of two phases: compile and link. However, there are often phases that run before or after this. For example, some code is hand written, and some code is generated. Generated code is created during a pre-build step. PSoC creator already has its own pre-build step for the APIs generated by the components. However, users frequently want their own pre-build steps.

Example 1:
If you're using a PSoC to interpret text strings, you might define the grammar of those strings in .lex and .yacc files. These files can't be compiled with a C compiler. The tools Flex and Bison to are used before compilation to generate the C code which is then finally compiled.

Example 2:
As a company policy, all of our firmware must know its SVN revision number, the date it was compiled, and if there are any local changes to the code which were not checked in at compile time. When our products are tested, we can then check that the correct firmware is loaded into the chips, and that there are no un-checked-in modifications to the code. When we use PICs, we have a pre-build step in MPLAB. This runs a python script which collects all that SVN information, and writes it into a .h file. Then happens whenver I hit F10 for build. So it's impossible for me to forget to do this, and I can be confident that whenever I interrogate a PIC to find out the SVN revision of its firmware, I am confident that it is correct.

Both of these examples are a pain in PSoC creator. I have to remember to run my python script before every build. Needless to say, sometimes I forget.

Every other IDE I have used has allowed users to define Pre and Post build steps. They are an important part of many build processes, and they are utterly trivial to implement. Take a look at the attached image which is the MPLAB custom build dialog. There are two text boxes where I can enter my own command. The Pre-build one is executed before the build process. The Post-build one is executed after. It would have taken less time to implement than it took me to write this post.

Hugo Elias
Attachments
pre_build.png
Pre build step in MPLAB
pre_build.png (7.45 KiB) Viewed 5088 times
rocketmagnet
Cheese Cube
Cheese Cube

Postby mgs » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:05 am

Thanks for the detailed explanation. It helps us to prioritize against other requests when we have a good example of why the feature is needed in the customer's words. Clearly, this is a low risk / high reward feature and I hope we can get it into the roadmap.

-- mgs
mgs
Cheese Wheel
Cheese Wheel

Postby rocketmagnet » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:36 am

Thanks mgs. I am glad that Cypress is taking the time to listen to the developers needs.
rocketmagnet
Cheese Cube
Cheese Cube

Postby bluefox » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:42 am

Pre/Post build steps may also need some (additional) rules

1) Pre-build step is always executed?
2) Dependency checking happens after pre-build step to determine what is out of date?
3) Post-build step is executed only if a link step happens?

I pose these as questions to ensure expectations are met. Sometimes pre-build steps can
create/update additional source code. And, do we depend on return codes from the pre/post
build steps to indicate failure of a build? I would expect so. 0 means success for instance.

Do these steps get involved in a 'clean' as well? I would want the pre-build step to get involved
with a macro indicating a clean is in progress? Or that can be a separate command(s). Pre/Post clean
commands.
bluefox

Postby rfeany » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:15 pm

Hi! Consider this my vote also for better integration with revision control tools. We have a few engineers across the world working on projects for the PSoC. We're using subversion and it is incredibly painful when two of us make changes to the same schematic file. If those files could be text, something that could be diffed and merged by hand then it would be much easier, as well as a list of files that should be checked in and those that are autogenerated.

I have two other minor things: one is that PSoC creator is really slow for me, on a top of the line windows 7 workstation with an SSD. Another is that PSoC creator does not always seem to handle dependencies well - if i change some header files, sometimes it fails to recompile the project. Because of this I often have to do a clean build (which takes quite a bit longer). I think others h

This is even further out there: the bootloader component is nice but it assumes that you'll be using the psoc upgrade protocol and it only allows you to change the transport mechanism. It would be nice if a slightly lower-level API were exported - i have existing upgrade protocols that I have to interoperate with, and right now I am having to build it as a translation between mine and the psoc upgrade protocol (not terrible, but not ideal either).

Anyway, thanks!! We have the psoc in several designs now, and have used it for prototyping things, it works out quite well!
rfeany

Postby Dagodevas » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:13 am

I use a single workspace to store the current and previous versions of a project. Creator certainly handles this much, much better than Designer, but I do have one complaint. The "Notice List" window shows warnings for all projects in a workspace. I would really like for the warnings to be limited to the active project.
Dagodevas
Cheese Cube
Cheese Cube

Return to “%s” PSoC Creator (PSoC3 & PSoC5 IDE)