Can not flash any PSoC

Questions about programming (not codeing) PSoCs and Encore II as well as freeware programming hardware and software are discussed here. This is also the place to talk about production programming. Programming means loading a HEX file in to the Flash, not, writing your program.

Moderator: ericb

Can not flash any PSoC

Postby joedimaggio » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:00 pm

Hello,

I can not flash any PSoC, I tried several PSoC Programmer versions and several MiniProg / MiniProg3 Firmware version.
After a long time finally I flashed a CY8C20334 BUT only with PSoC Programmer 2.3 and MiniProg 1.73.
My hardware is not the reason, as I used PSoC since years. So obviously it does matter which Software/Hardware version I use for flashing.

My question: Which Hardware/Software does function with a CY8C24894 ???
joedimaggio
Bite-Size Cheese
Bite-Size Cheese

Re: Can not flash any PSoC

Postby bobmarlowe » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:46 am

As you seem to be the only one experiencing these problems I would suggest you to have your version(s) of components checked.
I made good experiences in a similar case by creating a "MyCase" at cypress.com (Support & Community -> Technical Support -> Create a MyCase).
Although It may take some time (mostly due to different time-zones) the help I received was professional and complete.

Bob
bobmarlowe
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby joedimaggio » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:49 am

I'm not the only one experiencing this problem, as other developer in my department had the same problem with the PSoC3 CY8C3865 in combination with the MiniProg3.
It's definitely not possible for me to flash my board with a CY8C24894.
I will open a case, but the Programmer Hardware/Software seems to have obviously compatibility problems.
If someone can nevertheless give me a tip, I would appreciate it.
joedimaggio
Bite-Size Cheese
Bite-Size Cheese

Postby KennyMillar » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:12 am

I regularly have issues programming PSoC5 with Miniprog 3 - so much so that I give all my projects a bootloader and write my own bootloader programs. They are more user friendly to give to end-users anyway.

Here's my story/advice:

I have 3 x MiniProg 3 programmers and I pick one up, attach it and fail, so I pick up another, attach it and it works.
Next time it could be the other way round - there seems to be no logic to it. I have 3 because at various stages I have been absolutely convinced that they have gone faulty, only to find that the 'faulty' one is the only one that will work next time.

My advice is: Keep the connection from the MiniProg3 header to the device as short as possible. Avoid all unnecessary jumper cables. Use on-board power wherever you can and avoid powering from the miniprog 3. Use 'Reset' instead of 'power-cycle' to attach to the device (programming mode). Deliberately apply the wrong settings for the "10-pin or 5-pin" setting and then set it back again to the correct setting. Adjust the 'clock speed' setting down a few notches.

Finally, if possible, attach an oscilloscope to the programming signals and check they are achieving the correct levels and have nice square edges.

I'm sure you have tried all of these things already, but it works for me.
KennyMillar
Cheese Wheel
Cheese Wheel

Postby bobsanjose » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:56 pm

Joe,
Cypress has its very own way to program devices, that is why Cypress builds their own excellent programmers. And as you and Kenny found out, they all work. Not everyone every time but pretty sure everyone sometimes. Open a case and get a quality feedback about a quality product from a company that only delivers best in class quality.
Or you could opt for something from a different class because Cypress's quality is best in its class.
bobsanjose

Postby KennyMillar » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:59 am

bobsanjose wrote:... Cypress's quality is best in its class.

Absolutley not the case. I'm not getting into it, but Cypress are no where near best in class.
My ICD3 from microchip, for example, works first time every time. I only have one of them and I don't feel uncertain about it, I have 3 x Miniprog 3 and can never be sure if they'll work. That's why I write my own bootloaders for USB and RS232. Also, you can't give an end user field updates using Miniprog 3.
KennyMillar
Cheese Wheel
Cheese Wheel

Return to “%s” Device Programmers