Quadcopter it possible with Psoc 1

Questions about programming (not codeing) PSoCs and Encore II as well as freeware programming hardware and software are discussed here. This is also the place to talk about production programming. Programming means loading a HEX file in to the Flash, not, writing your program.

Moderator: ericb

Quadcopter it possible with Psoc 1

Postby badal » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:30 am

Hi,

i will a projekt for bachelor. My questions: Its possible to realize a quadcopter with psoc 1.

Thank for the answers

Nejat
badal
Bite-Size Cheese
Bite-Size Cheese

Re: Quadcopter it possible with Psoc 1

Postby bobmarlowe » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:25 pm

The usual answer is: That depends...

When you draw a block-diagram with all the modules you want to support and with the interfaces the PSoC1 will talk to them, you are able to estimate what might go into the chip and what has to be supported externally.
Despite the power of a PSoC1, a quad-copter motor-controller was realized by Cypress with a PSoC5 and astonishingly the motor-controllers run in hardware without CPU-intervention.
But I question if it is advisable to implement motor-controllers and power-electronics into a PSoC-circuit when they can be bought ready with a well-known interface. Of more interest imho is to interface the copter with accelerometers, gyros and a remote control.

Bob
bobmarlowe
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby CypressRaj » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:23 am

Quadcopter requires 4 BLDC motors to run at very high speed (around 30K rpm). PSoC 1 cannot drive the BLDC motor at this speed, given its 4MIPS of processing speed. A proof of concept was done with a PSoC 3 device which handled 4 motors simultaneouly, running at 30K rpm. Moreover, BLDC motors were sensorless. This was possible due to UDB blocks and comparators.

-Rajiv
CypressRaj
Cheese Cube
Cheese Cube

Postby bobmarlowe » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:05 pm

@CypressRaj
Badal's problem is to control the motors via PWM as remote controls do (1..2ms signal width). The main problem is / was to build some PID-Controllers and to interface some I2C sensors for getting accelleration and magnetic heading.

Bob
bobmarlowe
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby CypressRaj » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:00 am

@Bob
It was not mentioned in the query about the kind of motors being used.
It seems possible, if the task of PSoC 1 is just to provide variable duty PWM signals to controller of 4 motors, based on the motion sensor (accelerometer, gyro, compass) feedback.
CypressRaj
Cheese Cube
Cheese Cube

Postby danadak » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:42 pm

Something is amiss.

30K RPM is >> historical gas radio control engines. Cox TD series, very low displacement =
low reciprocating mass = high RPM rarely could achieve > 20 K RPM on 50% nitro.

Bobs reference to modified servo motors where the stops are removed, hence servo becomes
a motor, my guess is 5K RPM a challenge. They are simply not high RPM devices.

So specs given do not make sense. Even balancing a 30K RPM blade a huge challenge.

So I would re-examine design goals first, then we can try to analyze applicability.

Regards, Dana.
Field Application Engineer
KB1RHB Mostly listen :)
Semi Retired
danadak
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby bobmarlowe » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:26 am

I had some private mail discussions with the original poster and it turns out that the PSoC task should be to read-out some sensors and control the stability of the copter by using standard
BL-motor-drivers with a 1-2ms pulse.
The talks wherte made private because the poster could not express his needs in english and fortunately we both are speaking the same language.

Nonetheless it is a challenging project doing the necessary calculations in-time for a PSoC 1.

Bob
bobmarlowe
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby CypressRaj » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:44 pm

Recently, I did motion sensor prototype using PSoC 1 - CY8C28433 device. Three sensors (accelerometer - analog, Gyro - analog and compass - digital) were used. All are 3 -axis. If we can get the control loop speed required in quadcopter application, we can conclude whether it can be done in PSoC 1 or not.

-Rajiv Badiger
CypressRaj
Cheese Cube
Cheese Cube

Postby bobmarlowe » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:02 am

The usual required speed for motor controllers is very calm, it is a PWM-signal with a frequency of 20ms (not critical) and a pulse width of 1ms (off) to 2ms (full power), so there is time enough for all calculations to be made.

I wrote a controll loop using an accellerometer and a compass only, running on a PSoC1 and PSoC5. I could not find a way yet to include the math for all 3 sensors. Are you willing to show us (me) how you solved that?

Bob
bobmarlowe
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby CypressRaj » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:56 am

The motion sensor solution was just an interface to three sensors. There was no control loop. Firmware was written to filter ADC values and send the values via RF module. Only compass sensor required some math for tilt compensation.

I wanted to know how fast we need to respond to the disturbances in quadcopter to maintain it steady. This decides the frequency of sensor polling and control action.

-Rajiv Badiger
CypressRaj
Cheese Cube
Cheese Cube

Postby danadak » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:22 pm

I don't think there is a simple answer to the question of MIPS needed,
or response time.

Your considerations include -

1) Mass
2) Acceleration
3) Force developed by prop(s)
4) Ground effect
5) RPM range chosen for design
6) Aerodynamic design

Without trying to design a rocket to moon you could always buy one, and using
wireless or tethered do your own measurements on the design, to get a starting point.

Regards, Dana.
Field Application Engineer
KB1RHB Mostly listen :)
Semi Retired
danadak
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby CypressRaj » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:08 pm

:shock: Trial and error is better :D

Resource wise, it doesn't look like any problem for PSoC 1.
CypressRaj
Cheese Cube
Cheese Cube

Postby ArvindKrishnan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:43 am

Why not have two PSoCs, SPI-interfaced .. :?:
Regards,
Arvind Krishnan
ArvindKrishnan
Bite-Size Cheese
Bite-Size Cheese

Return to “%s” Device Programmers